If you want to reduce the amount of time that you spend doing your homework there are five effective tips you can follow below:
- The first tip is to design a homework space that is unique to homework and homework alone. Far too many students try and do their assignments in a place where they do other activities too. Have you ever tried to complete an assignment while sitting on your bed? It likely did not end well, and probably ended with snoring. Have you ever tried working at the kitchen table only to be distracted by the constant desire to snack on things? This is why it is important for you to create a space unique to your school work alone. This space is one where you return day after day to do work and where you only do work. It is best to find a quiet place that is free from distractions, one which has a comfortable chair and a table or desk wide enough to accommodate all of your things.
- When you create your work space it is imperative that you have all of the things you would need in one place. If your study space is at home, you can leave your work materials in a box or a bag on your desk or table. If you are working from home, you should invest in a small pencil box or book bag where you can store all of the things you might need including paper, highlighters, pencils, rulers, calculators, etc…
- Make sure your work space is free from distractions. Constantly being nagged by your mother can be a big distraction but so too can the television being on the background, or music playing with lyrics, or even a phone that continually buzzes. You want to make sure that you have put your phone in another room, far from you. No text you get from your friend is going to be answered while you do your homework. This only serves to distract your brain far too easily. If you need music, or you are working in a loud place and require headphones, use classical music or instrumental music so that you have something calming in the background, but not something with lyrics. And on that note, your brain perceives time in a flexible manner based on your surroundings. Music has a severe impact on this. If you listen to rushed music with a fast paced beat, it will cause your brain to speed up, thinking time is rushing by and you need to hurry, hurry, hurry. If, however, you listen to slower music that is light and calm, it will cause your brain to slow down and to focus more on your work.
- Grab a snack and some water before you start working on your assignments. A hungry mind is a distracted mind. Just as important is the water. If you do not stay hydrated it can cause your brain to stop focusing which will severely throw you and your work off course.
- If you work at the same time each day your brain will start to automatically turn on to “homework mode” when that time approaches, enabling you to focus faster and better on all of your pending tasks. Try and do a little bit of work each day, and if you have no assignments, use the time to review.